It is World Week for Animals in Labs and we are sending out an action each day that you can do to make a difference.
Did you know that the Canadian Military is cruelly using piglets for military medical training?
The Animal Protection Party of Canada has organized a petition and letter writing campaign.
The petition says a lot:
- Young pigs are poisoned with chemical weapons, irradiated, stabbed, dismembered, disemboweled and killed for Canadian military trauma training;
- The Department of National Defence (DND) continues to use pigs despite acknowledging that they are poor models for human anatomy and may actually interfere with effective training;
- The continued use of piglets for military trauma training puts Canadian soldiers’ lives at risk by using obsolete teaching methods and inapplicable animal models;
- Twenty-three of 30 NATO member nations no longer use animals for military trauma training;
- In the past 10 years, the DND spent over $1 million in tax-payer funds by purchasing pigs for military trauma training; and
- Human patient simulators which accurately mimic human anatomy and physiology are more applicable and cost-effective training tools for military trauma training.
We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the Minister of National Defence to bring an end to the use of animals in military trauma training.
For detailed information on this issue, visit: https://defenceless.ca
Please use the buttons below to sign the petition and send a letter.
Thank you for all that you do!